Some more photos from the NYT Sunday article on life in Mogadishu and changes since the takeover by the Union of Islamic Courts (UIC).
The former Mogadishu municipality buildings built by Italy in the late 1920's are now destroyed and riddled with bullet holes.
Military recruits jog in formation during an exercise. Former fighters allied to the warlords who previously ran Mogadishu now train at a military camp run by the Islamists.
A boy lays out in front of Mogadishu's largest mosque, The Islamic Solidarity Mosque, seen in the distance.
Photos: Jehad Nga for the NY Times
This BBC map shows UIC areas of control after the taking of Kismayo, and the enclave that remains of Baidoa, where Ethiopian troops are currently coming to the aid of President Ghedi, who was chased from the capital earlier this year.